IF YOU SMELL GAS AND SUSPECT YOU HAVE A GAS LEAK, CALL US IMMEDIATELY!
Chesapeake provides 24-hour emergency service every day of the year.
Caroline, Cecil, Dorchester, Wicomico and Worcester Counties
Kent, New Castle and Sussex
Natural gas is safe, reliable and convenient, and it adds to our comfort, so why does it have to smell so bad? Natural gas is odorless by nature; so, for safety’s sake, an odorant called mercaptan is added so that you will know if gas is escaping and recognize that a potentially dangerous situation may exist. Natural gas that has escaped can enter locations (including properties that don’t have natural gas service) by migrating and entering through openings. So, if you ever detect a “rotten egg” smell in or near your home or place of business, please take the following precautions to help keep your family, friends and colleagues safe.
Remember, if you smell gas:
Carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless and poisonous. Inadequate ventilation or a gas appliance malfunction can cause carbon monoxide buildup. You may have a buildup problem if the air in your home smells stale or stuffy, has high humidity, or you find soot from your fireplace or furnace throughout your home. If members of your household experience flu-like symptoms, loss of muscle control, headaches, dizziness, weakness, nausea or vomiting, breathing carbon monoxide may cause these symptoms. If you believe you have been overexposed to carbon monoxide, seek immediate medical attention.
For your personal protection, all of our employees are required to carry photo identification cards. Before you allow a service person to enter your home, request to see an identification card.
In the interest of your safety and the safety of our employees, our walk-in offices are closed until further notice.
We are monitoring and responding to the Coronavirus Pandemic. Visit CHPKgasresponds.com for alternate bill pay options, and important updates.
We are prepared and will continue our commitment to providing safe, reliable energy.